The CrunchGov Essential is a scannable roundup of technology’s influence on the day’s big issues. Below a feature post, we present the most thoughtful, outrageous, and inspiring stories told through the web’s best content. Sign up for the morning newsletter here.
The U.S. has pledged not to seek the death penalty for NSA-whistleblower Edward Snowden. To persuade the Minister of Justice to give up Snowden, it appears that Eric Holder had to ironically assure Russian authorities that it will respect human rights.
“The United States would not seek the death penalty for Mr. Snowden should he return to the United States,” he wrote. “We believe these assurances eliminate these asserted grounds for Mr. Snowden’s claim that he should be treated as a refugee or granted asylum, temporary or otherwise.”
For good measure, he wrote that “Mr. Snowden will not be tortured. Torture is unlawful in the United States.”
Snowden is currently holed up in Moscow Airport, seeking asylum from the United States.
U.S. State Department employees tell me that the NSA spying affair is seriously harming their ability to negotiate human rights issues with authoritarian governments around the world. Apparently, the perception of hypocrisy does not put the U.S. in a compelling position.
The Essential: Anti-NSA Debate In Congress, Manning Trial Closes, Navy’s Kinect Sexual Assault Solution, FOD for Obamacare
Anti-NSA Debate [TechCrunch]
-Watch Congress debate whether the NSA’s dragnet spying operation should be defunded
Manning Trial Closes [TechCrunch]
Creepy having armed MPs in camo patrolling behind each row of reporters & looking over shoulders as we take notes on Manning trial today
Charlie Savage (@charlie_savage) July 25, 2013
-The trial of Wikileaks Source Pfc. Bradley Manning ended yesterday
-Prosecutors argued that Manning leaked information out of lust for fame
-Manning faces life in prison for “aiding the enemy”
Using Kinect To Stop Sexual Assaults [Verge]
-The military awarded a contract to build a video game anti-rape simulator
-“The system will not use pre-programmed branching scenarios to determine the responses for the avatar. It will instead animate a human agent using a [Kinect] interface”
Funny Or Die Is Making A Pro-Obama Care Video [Mother Jones]
-Viral sketch comedy startup, Funny or Die, met with celebrities at the White House to design a pro-Obamacare video, aimed at getting young people to sign up for insurance.
Blink three times if you're being held against your will guys. RT @katetaylornyt: The Weiner volunteers at the forum. http://t.co/T8ve5Jlf0q
Andrew Kaczynski (@BuzzFeedAndrew) July 25, 2013
Star Wars Imperial Guard Stormtrooper Darth Vader Cartoon Movie Video Game Vinyl Decal Cover Skin Protector for Nintendo 3DS XL Console System
- These are high-quality breathable vinyl stick-ons/decals that will resemble a paint job, like those on race cars and hot rods.
- Will not tear (like paper) or leave any residue (like stickers) if you ever decide to remove it.
- Our skins are all made in the USA. Our materials are made in the USA and Japan.
- They are thick enough to protect your system from most scratches. Our skins do not void warranty because you are not replacing any parts.
- Our skins do not void warranty because you are not replacing any parts.
-We have over 7 years of online selling experience! -100% Money Back Guarantee! -If you are not satisfied in ANY way, please let us know and we will replace or refund at no charge! -All items ship out within one business day!
- Comes with 3 pieces that cover the front and inside of your Nintendo 2DS, DOES NOT cover the screen
- Non permanent adhesive backing that allows you to simply peel off the skins with no sticky residue
- Scratch resistant protective shield made out of high-quality vinyl
- Personalize your 2DS with this printed design vinyl decal skin sticker
- This will only fit the 2DS, it will not fit the 3DS, 3DS XL, the DSi, or the DSi XL
This scratch resistant skin decal helps to protect your 2DS while making an impression. Self-adhesive plastic-coated skins cover the front and inside of the console and are custom cut to perfectly fit the 2DS. Skins are paper-thin so they do not add any bulk. Skins are easy to apply, durable and easily removable without any residue. This decal skin DOES NOT cover the screen of your 2DS. (Note: Due to differences in monitors, color may vary from photo.)
Station Access Collection (Matrix Online, Everquest Evolution,Star Wars Galaxies Starter Kit, Everquest II, PlanetSide Aftershock)
- Planetside – Aftershock throws you into futuristic all-out-war on the planetary continents of Auraxis. Engage your enemies in large-scale battles or tactical base assaults. Heavily-armored mechanized robots with multiple weapon systems are at your command.
- Star Wars Galaxies lets you become the hero of your own Star Wars adventure. Begin your adventure by helping Han Solo and Chewbacca fend off Jabba The Hutt on the Millennium Falcon — then choose your path and find a place in the Galaxy. Become a rebel and fight the Empire, or join up with the Dark Side – while seeking your fortune as a Bounty Hunter, Smuggler or even a Jedi.
- EverQuest II takes you into an incredible fantasy world. With breathtaking 3D graphics and a wider world to explore, you’ll unlock dungeons, battle monsters and engage in life as one of Norrath’s great champions and leaders.
- In The Matrix Online you’ll enter the war between man and machine. Join Neo, Morpheus and the crews of Zion as they take on the Agents, the Sentinels and other threats — in all-new locations and with all-new weapons.
- Also includes Everquest Evolution
- Vibrant artwork from Star Wars: The Clone Wars highlights the molded EVA zip case. Ergonomic contoured design makes this your lightweight travel solution for all of your Nintendo DS Lite needs. Convenience and functionality are marked by numerous mesh pockets, elastic stylus bands, and a center partition which doubles as storage for up to 24 game cards. Coordinating bonus Nintendo DS Lite accessories include a system wrap, cleaning cloth and replacement stylus.
Vibrant artwork from Star Wars: The Clone Wars highlights the molded EVA zip case. Ergonomic contoured design makes this your lightweight travel solution for all of your Nintendo DS Lite needs. Convenience and functionality are marked by numerous mesh pockets, elastic stylus bands, and a center partition which doubles as storage for up to 24 game cards. Coordinating bonus Nintendo DS Lite accessories include a system wrap, cleaning cloth and replacement stylus.
Ouya has announced a new fund that will aid Kickstarter projects headed for the diminutive console. Called “Free the Games,” the $1 million fund will match Kickstarter funds ranging from $50,000 to $250,000 for eligible games. Naturally, Ouya expects something in return: Eligible games must agree to be exclusive to Ouya for six months. So long as the qualifying Kickstarter launches between August 9, 2013 and August 10, 2014, and achieves a minimum goal of $50,000, Ouya will match the total raised up to $250,000. Furthermore, the most successful Kickstarter project to take part in the Free the Games program will receive an additional $100,000. The fund will continue to support projects until the money runs out. Interested developers can find out more about the program on the Ouya website.
Read the full story at Joystiq.
As we here at Don’t Hate The Geek reported earlier, the upcoming action-flight game, Thunder Wolves from Most Wanted games will be releasing soon to PC, PSN, and XBLA. To get you psyched, a newly released trailer has been released. Hit it after the break. Check it out here and stay tuned for all the details about Thunder Wolves you’ll need.
Game: Thunder Wolves
Developer: Most Wanted Entertainment
Publisher: bitComposer Games
Platforms: PC XBLA, PSN
Release Date: Spring 2013
Another World or Out Of This World as it is sometimes referred to is currently available on Steam in a 20th anniversary edition. The action/ platform game made its debut in 1991 and has since been ported to several different platforms. Recently Another World was selected as one of the few games chosen to be part of New York‘s Museum Of Modern Art.
Another World has been catapulted to “cult” status by critics and game lovers and is widely recognized as one of the most original and innovative games of its generation. Presented with high-definition graphics, and newly remastered sound, Another World is sure to capture the attention of new and old fans alike.
Another World 20th Anniversary Edition offers 3 difficulty modes; its original mode, an easy mode, and for skilled gamers, a mode that is more difficult than the game’s original hardcore mode. The 20th Anniversary edition also comes with the Development Journal and a making of video.
Grab a copy now on Steam for $9.99. Out Of This World The 20th Anniversary Edition is available on PC and Mac and was developed by Eric Chahi, DotEmu. Focus Home Entertainment is publishing the game.